How to Make a Small Bathroom Feel Luxurious
Google “luxurious bathroom renovations” and your screen will be filled with massive spaces that feature complex tile work, expansive vanities, huge showers, and freestanding soaking tubs. If you want a luxury renovation, you may find yourself discouraged scrolling through hundreds of pictures of bathrooms that are twice as big as yours and probably twice your budget. Because let’s face it, not everyone has a bathroom big enough to fit a small house inside!
Most suburban houses and condos in middle America have the standard 5’x8’-ish rectangle bathroom with a small vanity, toilet and a tub/shower tucked between three walls. If you’re working with a small space, you can still have a master bathroom that feels like an oasis or a guest bathroom that wows your friends and family. In this blog, we’ll explore two Mayflower renovations of small bathrooms that created the feeling of luxury despite the size!
Case 1: “Living Like Royalty”
- Gold and Black Finishes: Matte Black and Brushed Gold are widely popular for good reason! These colors bring visual interest and complement almost any color palette. They also create a classier feel than your standard polished chrome or brushed nickel. With this minor detail, a small space suddenly feels warm and rich!
- Royal Blue Vanity: A deep blue vanity is just the pop of color to make small vanities feel luxurious. They don’t call it royal blue for no reason! This vanity feels high end and is adorned with brushed gold hardware. Want your small bathroom to be a stunner? Add color!
- Rainhead Shower with Sleek Handheld: Just because your shower is too small for complicated jet systems doesn’t mean you can’t splurge on a high-functioning and gorgeous shower system. Almost all major plumbing suppliers have their version of a shower rail ready to accept the showerhead and handheld of your choice. Rainheads create a luxury shower experience while a thin handheld gives you the look and feel of a spa!
- Floating Shelves: Complement the color scheme of your bathroom with matching floating shelves above your toilet. Floating shelves are a great way to showcase decorative items. Whether you style it once and let it be, or change with the seasons, open shelves ensure your toilet area remains clean and appealing.
- Wood-like Floor Tile: One of the great things about wood-like tile is that it allows you to have uniquely patterned wood veining that would not occur in nature. Grey wood is becoming increasingly popular and complements the blue, gold and black finishes highlighted in this bathroom.
- Decorations: Don’t forget to make your bathroom unique with paintings, mirrors, lighting and accessories! Get creative, and make your small bathroom feel like a work of art. If you don’t have the “interior decorator” gene, Pinterest is a great place to go for inspiration!
Case 2: “Classic and Elegant”
- Gold, Black and White: Here we see the popular brushed gold and matte black finishes used in a completely different way as our previous bathroom. Using white as the main color palette to contrast these bold colors takes a small bathroom from basic to elegant!
- Black Vanity: Make a statement with black cabinetry to contrast your white tiles. There’s just something about black and white that remains timeless and classic no matter the decade. Making your small bathroom luxurious means making bold choices!
- Mosaic Tile Floor: Boost the curb appeal of your small bathroom by installing a complex patterned tile not just in your shower, but on your entire bathroom floor. While a mosaic floor in a large bathroom might feel overwhelming, it complements a small space perfectly!
- Marble Countertop and Tile: A natural stone tile is a sure way to give your small bathroom a luxurious feel. While harder to maintain than porcelain imitations, there’s nothing like the unique veining of a gorgeous slab of marble for your counter and bench seat. Marble subway tiles in your shower are a great upgrade from standard white subway tiles.
- Custom Glass Door: Consider having your shower door custom measured and cut to fit your small bathroom perfectly. Not only does this allow you cut around a bench, but you’ll also get an increased selection of finishes and styles for your hardware. You can also request a thicker glass to make your door feel a lot sturdier than a cheap door from Home Depot.
- Built-In Bench: Nothing says luxury bathroom like a built-in bench. Not only are they super practical, but they visually take your shower from “blah” to “wow”!
If you’re feeling inspired and ready to transform your small bathroom, give us a call to chat with one of Mayflower’s design consultants. We’ll learn your unique personal style and help you incorporate some of these ideas into your renovation. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s design a jaw-dropping bathroom for you to enjoy for years to come!